NUMBERS ARE PEOPLE COCK-UP BEFORE CONSPIRACY • CITE PRIMARY SOURCES OR GO HOME


Friday 25 June 2010

YOU CAN HAZ GREEK ISLAND!

I've been saying for a while that there is no taboo surrounding island sales - past Greek governments have contemplated this even when the country was not looking the Grim Reaper in the eye.

Now the Guardian reports that the Greek Government is seriously considering the sale of state property on islands (including some of the lesser islands themselves). Even parts of Mykonos are not exempt.

I for one am 100% in support. Remember, selling an island does not make it any less a part of Greece - Greek law still applies, and the Greek state holds as much power over a private island as it does over central Athens.
Except now, somebody else beside the Greek government can pay for much-needed infrastructure: from sanitation, electricity and broadband to schools and hospitals if enough people turn up.

As a matter of priority, I would start selling off crappy little bits of rock near the Turkish coast. A wall of foreigners would be a better guarantee against invasion than a thicket of missile arrays - and it make, rather than cost, money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember that I am not notified of any comments and will not respond via comments.

Try to keep your criticism constructive and if you don't like something, do tell me how to fix it. If I use any of your suggestions, you will be duly credited.

Although I'm happy to entertain criticism of myself in the comments section, I will not tolerate hate speech. You will be given a written warning and after that I will delete further offending comments.

I will also delete any comments that are clearly randomly generated by third parties for their own promotion.

Occasionally, your comments may land in the spam box, which may cause them to appear with a slight delay as I have to approve them myself.

Thanks in advance for your kind words... and your trolling, if you are so inclined.